Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Ch-ch-ch-Changes.

I knew this day would come at some point. 

After months of growing, intense pain, and difficulties with recovery afterwards, I finally went to see an orthopedist today. 

With the help of x-rays and a thorough exam, she confirmed that I have advancing arthritis and severe tendinitis from decades of bicycle wrenching and guitar playing. Honest wear, mostly, with some aging and autoimmune disease thrown in for fun. The tendinitis is really hard to work with, because the treatment for it is rest and refraining from the activities that cause the pain. There is no way to recover from tendinitis without taking a break from what causes it, recovering, and then returning to that activity slowly and often with modifications. It’s possible to treat the pain with NSAIDs (over-the-counter pain meds); but I can’t take the most effective one (ibuprofen) due to my autoimmune issues, and Tylenol doesn’t really help much. So I’m looking at a lot of periods of rest and alternating between hot and cold packs to calm things down. 

The doctor suggested today that in my case, it’s probably time to consider playing guitar more of a hobby and less of a job. 

I know now that it is time for me to downsize my music career. The days of hustling hard for gigs anywhere and everywhere all over the country are done. I simply cannot maintain the daily practice schedule and hustling for tours the way I once did. My body is adjusting, and so must I.

Taking this news in, I did have some tearful moments. Confronting the end of one period in life before contemplating a new period is an emotional thing. But if I’m being honest, I must admit that (a) I knew this was coming and (b) I can look back on everything I’ve done with pride and satisfaction. 

I hope to continue to play locally, but will no longer be hustling for major gigs or weeklong tours beyond the West Coast (and really, anything beyond the PNW only on an occasional basis). I will still make music, but cannot play guitar as often as I have for the past thirty years. I will slow down, and enjoy all the things I can get away with doing, and ease into semi-retirement. 

I’m grateful that I have the ability to do so, without losing sleep about a roof over my head or food on the table. I’m mindful that many do not have that option.

I’ll still be a musician — always! 

And I’ll still find ways to make music when and however I can, for the duration. I just need to rescale how I do things going forward, so I can use my hands for ALL the things I love for a little longer.

Thanks for following along, and for all your support of Jewish Music Made By Hand.



No comments:

Post a Comment