Saturday, December 30, 2023

On gratitude.

We could all stand to say "Thank you" more often to each other.

I mean it.

If you live, as I do, in a first world country, even one where tens of thousands of human canaries are currently bemoaning the state of democracy every day, we've still got it good here.
I live in a house. With indoor plumbing and a warm, dry bed. There's a refrigerator with food inside it. There's more food in the cupboard.
I have a bicycle hanging in the entryway that takes me all over, and a bus pass when I'm not feeling so robust. And if worse comes to worst, Sweetie can take me somewhere in her car.
Did I mention I have a Sweetie? We've been together through thick and thin for over twenty years. She's my best friend and the queen of my world and I adore her beyond words.
We have two cats who are sweet and funny and bring us much joy.
And we are blessed with loving family near and far (that we don't get to see often enough, but we make the effort) who fill us up with so much love.

I say all this by way of setting up the need to say gratitudes out loud.

We are born, we live and then we die. And the time between birth and death is a speck, a microcosm of time so short in the scheme of things that almost no one will know we were here a hundred years from now.

So while we're here, we owe it to ourselves and each other to speak and sing and dance and love our gratitude out loud, as often as we can. We need to remember that our lives are miraculous and all too short, and acknowledge that miracle with thankfulness at least once every day.

I think gratitude makes me happier by keeping things in perspective.
Sure, situations and events can be annoying or even scary. But on balance, if we survive long enough, things have a chance to change. And that can be another reason to give thanks.

This morning at around 2am, our toilet clogged up. I spent close to an hour trying to unclog it myself, and when I couldn't I knew we'd have to call a plumber later in the morning. On the day before New Year's Eve. When everyone else in Portland was having a plumbing emergency. It took five tries, but we found a company with service slots available the same day. Sweetie urged me to go for the bike ride I had planned and not worry. When I came back later, the toilet had been repaired (it was not a big job). We had the means to pay for it, and that was that.

Tonight, I am reminded of a short little song I've used at worship services now and then.
We sing:

V'al zeh ani modeh
V'al zeh ani modah

(For all this, I am grateful)

After we sing the Hebrew words, I invite folks to call out something they are grateful for. The answers come forth like water: Family. Friends. My dog. My sister. Seeing my grandkids grow. Hiking in a beautiful place. Enjoying a home-coooked meal with friends.
And then we sing the Hebrew words again.

I learned this during my time in Kansas City and it immediately resonated with me. How simple it is to offer gratitude for our blessings. And how often we forget to do so.
So I've made it part of my nightly practice, before I turn in. I offer thanks for a few of my blessings each night. It's not fancy or especially articulate, but it's heartfelt and real. I'm convinced that I sleep better for it.

I hope the ending year will remind you of your blessings.
And I hope the year to come will give you more to be thankful for.

Thank you for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment