Sunday, December 24, 2023

Right now, it IS all about me. At least for awhile.

 

Some of you will skip this. That's fine.
Others will read it and that's fine too.
I'm going on a lot about ADHD lately because I was diagnosed a little less than three months ago, and a crap metric TON of stuff is happening as a result of understanding that diagnosis.
Years of masking efforts (where I had to pretend I was "normal" in order to fit in, get a job, find housing, find friends, etc.) are falling away like bad wallpaper.
I am becoming more annoying to folks who can't handle my sporadic energy or my inability to remember appointments.
And I am dealing with a surprising PHYSICAL response to this news, while all the pain and confusion and deep sorrow and even some anger are coursing through my veins and nerves and muscles right now. Which is why I haven't committed to a whole lot of stuff lately.
I'm dealing with a Whole Life Smackdown and it is hard.
If you want to inform yourself in tiny nuggets, check out https://www.instagram.com/adhd_chatter_podcast
on IG right now. It's very informative in tiny snippets, and sheds light on what it's like to realize this thing and begin to learn how to live with the knowledge, especially for those diagnosed later in life as adults.
And if you'd rather not be witness to this journey, that's cool. Just mute me or unfollow me, because after years of trying to live in ways that accommodate the world I'm now embarking on the project of learning how to hustle so the world accommodates me a little bit more for a change. Not sorry. Just honest.
And that is my gift to everyone.
(artwork by Don Martin)



No comments:

Post a Comment